Eric Bambrick (b1893)
Gunner (WWI), Farmer, Publican.
Of these three, he was most successful (and suited) as a publican.
(See also Studio portrait of 507 Private (Pte) James Cullin Gaffney, 8th Reinforcements, 8th Machine Gun -- Private Gaffney also "embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT Medic on 16 December 1916" -- and note "Other images from this studio which display this machine gun prop include P06012.001; P06493.001; P07654.003; P11519.008 and P11519.010." -- e.g. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1219771 -- https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1224976 - https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1226181)
- May 5: Joined Australian Imperial Force (Age 22 8/12) at Emerald Qld
- 11th Depot Battalion. - 5/5/16 - 4/7/16
- Compound Company Lytton Camp Lytton - 5/7/16 - 29/7/16
- 11th Depot Battalion. - 29/7/16 - 17/8/16
- 5th/11th Machine Gun Company - 23/8/16 - 8/9/16
- No 12 Depot Machine Gun Company - 9/9/16 - 24/10/16
- 5th/11th Machine Gun Company - 25/10/16 - 30/10/16 (Embarkation delayed - to Base Hospital)
- Hospital - 1/11/16 - 21/11/16
- Machine Gun company 22/11/16 - 29/11/16
- 8/7 Machine Gun Company 29/11/16 - 16/12/16
- Embarkation at Melbourne per HMAT "Medic" 16/12/16 with 7th Machine Gun Company, 8th Reinforcements. Private.
- 9/1/17 - Award 168 hrs detention for Absence without leave, 1 hour, and breaking isolation 8/1/17
- Disembarked - Plymouth - 18/2/17
- 24/2/17 - Marched in from Belton Park from P.Downs.
- 17/3/17 - Sick - to Belton Hospital from Australian Machine Gun Training Depot Grantham
- 25/2/17 -
- 25/2/17 -
- 27/4/17 - Proceeded O/S to France (Pte) Folkstone 27/4/17
- 12/5/17 - - taken on strength - In the field 6/5/17
- 23/2/18 - On leave to U.K.
- 16/3/18 - Returned from leave
- 16/11/18 - ? 2nd - to hospital - place of casualty - field 12/11/18 (the day after armistice)
- 12/11/18 -
- 18/11/18 - Discharged to duty (Rejoined 2nd Machine Gun Battalion, from Hospital)
- 23/11/18 - Rejoined unit
- 14/12/18 - to school of instruction
- 28/12/18 - returned from school of instruction
- 1/2/19 - On leave in France
- 12/2/19 - Returned from Leave
- 17/5/19 - Charleroi
- 23/5/19 - Admitted NYD ("Not yet determined")
- 28/5/19 - Transfer to Bulford (Hosp.)
- 30/5/19 - 1st a W. Hospital
- 2/6/19 - Discharged to Depot. N.A.D (Nothing abnormal discovered)
- 7/7/19 - Return to Australia on "Chemnitz"
- 17/10/19 - Discharged from AIF
Eric and Barbara with their first 3 sons: Bryan, Owen and Ken, pictured circa 1927. (Photo provided by John Millar [nephew of Barbara], courtesy of Iolene Brett)
Barbara and Eric's first 3 sons: Bryan, Owen and Ken, pictured circa 1927. (Photo provided by John Millar [nephew of Barbara], courtesy of Iolene Brett)
Eric William Bambrick and Barbara Sarah Bambrick (nee. Millar) at the wedding of their son Harold (Harry) to Elizabeth (Betty) Larson, August 1952.
...the above photo seems to have been extracted and enhanced from this larger photo, of bride/groom and both sets of in-laws (which has been colorized, long ago).
- Abbreviations used in World War I and World War II service records
- CHARLEROI, BELGIUM. 1919. AUSTRALIAN SOLDIERS SEATED AT TABLES INSIDE THE CAFE AT THE YMCA CLUB
- HMAT Medic