Maths Education Games
There are some really cool maths education games. I wish these had been around when I was younger. But I can still play them and learn from them now.
My favorites are:
- Prodigy Game — an impressive adventure game, that uses maths challenges as a way to defeat monsters.
Pluses: amazing graphics, engaging play (kids get really immersed in this one), mixes challenge with achievement and satisfaction. Teachers can see exactly how their students are progressing with comprehensive stats, and can set appropriate challenges.
Downside: it's so addictive, and such an extreme example of gamification that you may not be happy with how much time your kids spend playing it.
Dragon Box make a series of fun games that teach you how to perform complex operations on equations.
The algebra game is brilliant. The activity is designed to look nothing like equations. You learn all of the mental habits that are needed, without even seeing an equation. Slowly, over many levels, the little monsters you are moving around are transformed into the variables and operations that they represent. Eventually you see that you are just directly manipulating terms in equations. And by the time you see this, you're already a master at it.
- Hungry Fish
Hungry Fish — teaches you "number sense". Suitable for kids 6 and younger.
- What Works Clearing House — "Find What Works Based on the Evidence"
- Mathigon — "The Textbook of the Future"
- Maths Pathways — "First of its kind Learning and Teaching model that's changing maths classrooms across Australia."
- Wanted: An open source directed-acylic-graph of skills/knowledge items/processes. Items to be built on top of this include assessments and lessons associated with each node. Visualizations. Measures of effectiveness of each lesson etc. Tools for querying and extending (a workflow for expanding it).
- graph coloring, chromatic numbers, and Eulerian paths and circuits ("Math for seven-year-olds")
- Graph Theory for Kids (Math for 8 year olds)
- Geometry Games
- github: science based games list