Creating a book
There are 4 formats to worry about:
- mobi (kindle)
- Epub (other readers)
Printed will be available on Amazon, via the "CreateSpace" program.
Mobi(kindle) will be created from the Mobi version.
(This is a compromise, as ideally you'd have greater control over the mobi version, particularly around images. Amazon charge you a shipment fee per megabyte, so you want to optimize those images down.)
PDF and EPub will be sold through a digital sales platform, such as PayHip.
- signup at createspace
- create new project (i.e. new book)
- enter title and other details
- they issue you with an ISBN.
- get template from createspace or bookow.com template generator
create cover in paint.net hide layers save cover as .png open png in inkscape save as pdf - 300 DPI
- create cover in inkscape. Load template. Design on top. Hide template.
- load into createspace
- interior images:
- ensure they are 300 DPI (paint.net tips)
- write the content itself in whatever way/place you like
- download .doc template from createspace
- save as .docx
- remove unwanted "sections"
- put content into template
- special sections:
- title page
- copyright page
- (book itself, in chapters)
- appendices (optional... some subset of)
- image credits
- supplementary material
- suggestions for further reading
- notes/authors notes
- about the author(s)
- use headings styles
- use smart quotes
- setup Table of contents
- header/footer (different on odd/even)
- put isbn's into page 2
- set other document metadata
10:format and revise a lot (see editing below)
- make sure new chapter start on right hand side (odd numbers)
- update the table of contents.
- test file at createspace
- upload docx to createspace
- review in "interior viewer"
- Any problems?
- Happy? then Send for review (at createspace)
- Within 24 hours: Get feedback (issues) from review
- e.g. cover incorrect size/DPI. Internal images incorrect DPI.
- look at digital proofing tool
- note any issues that need to be corrected
- Any problems?
- download digital proof (pdf)
- look through that too.
- Any problems?
- order proof copy
- Wait for proof copy to arrive. While waiting:
- Set Distribution info
- Select a BISAC Category (e.g. Business & Economics / Entrepreneurship)
- Enter a description (up to 4000 characters, includes basic html)
- Set language
- Set up to 5 keywords
- Select channels (i.e. Amazon, other sellers, libraries)
- Set price and see how low your "royalties" will be
Prepare to make digital versions
Make two copies of the docx:
In the PDF.docx file
- Insert a cover page (taken from the right half, minus spine, of the cover, created above)
- Change paper size to A4.
- Change margins so that odd/even are symmetrical.
- Save as PDF
- Review the PDF
- ensure links work.
- preview for printing
- In Calibre: add the ...epub.docx file
- Set metadata.
- Add cover image
- Tell it not to stretch covers
- Test load onto e-reader:
- turn on calibre server
- connect to Calibre server from e-reader (add Calibre server as favorite)
- review book on e-reader.
- do links work?
- images not too big, not too small, not stretched incorrectly
- There's your own skill.
- There's other people.
- There's tools.
- Read it aloud, at each speed:
- Read it slowly aloud.
- Read it at normal speaking pace aloud.
- Read it quickly aloud.
- Choose and set the English variant. e.g. US English.
- Spell and grammar checking built into MS Word (and office online)
- Built-in spelling/grammar in Google Docs.
- Grammarly - for commas above all.
- HemingwayApp -
- to "strengthen" your writing
- reduce adverbs
- reduce equivocation
- shorter sentences